Home > Uncategorized > The Rarest of Sears Homes

The Rarest of Sears Homes

When I was in the Chicago area this Spring, I spent a few days with my friend Rebecca Hunter. After tooling around town looking at lots and lots of Sears Homes, we sat down in her beautiful dining room and made a list of the Sears Homes that neither one of us had ever seen.

It’s been my experience that the 60 most popular Sears Homes represented about 90% of their sales. Over and over again, we see the same designs, the Mitchells and Lynnhavens and Gladstones and Craftons and Argyles, etc. Sears offered 370 designs of Sears Homes, and of those 370 designs, there are 108 designs that neither Rebecca nor I have ever seen. This is quite remarkable, as the two of us have seen something approaching 10,000 Sears Homes. That’s a lot of Sears Homes.

Dale Wolicki says that it’s likely that some of these designs were never sold or built. In other words, they never went beyond being pictures in a catalog. He’s probably right.

For those Sears Homes aficionados, here is the list of Sears Homes that neither Rebecca or I have ever seen:

Adams

Sears Americus in Roanoke, Virginia

Sears Americus in Roanoke, Virginia

Sears Martha Washington in Bedford, Virginia

Sears Martha Washington in Bedford, Virginia

1. October 7th, 2010 at 12:31 | #1

Hi,
    I know this is not in your area, but there IS a Sears Chesterfield in Clawson, Michigan. if you look at the galleries on our website, I have a photo of it. So at least one of them was built - Its the only one I have ever seen.

2. Jy Murphy
    September 22nd, 2011 at 17:41 | #2

Dear Rosemary,

I am the research editor at Country Living magazine - I believe we spoke briefly several years ago - and I’m wondering if you know where to find images of the Modern Home models from the 1911 catalog.

In particular I wanted to know what model 116 looks like. I’m trying to confirm the provenance of a 1911 house in Yakima, WA, that is supposed to be Sears. I wonder whether it might be a Whitehall (rather altered), or maybe the model 116 - it has a certain similarity to the model 115 and I thought, maybe…this could have been the next model. I would be happy to send you a photo or two if you’re interested. 1120 S 17th Ave Yakima WA.

Cheers,
    Jy

3. Elizabeth
    July 23rd, 2012 at 01:04 | #3

Hi,

I just came across this blog post when researching sears homes. I noticed that you hadn’t ever found a model 122 home. Supposedly a home in Cape Girardeau, Missouri is one of that model. Here is a link to a recent real estate listing of this home. It is a registered historic landmark. I don’t know if the claim is true that it is a model 122, but thought I would mention it to let you look into.

4. Elizabeth
  5. Lisa
    April 10th, 2013 at 09:55 | #5

Apparently there is a 1925 Sears Craftsman Natoma house for sale in Butte Montana. I am looking at homes in the area and came across it. I can’t confirm whether it is or not, but it is listed as such. here’s a link. Hope that helps. =)

6. Philip Toole
    April 20th, 2013 at 21:18 | #6

Dear Rosemary,

There is a Springwood in the museum village on Sanibel Island in Southwest Florida near Fort Myers. I have your books, saw this home, and knew I wanted to communicate this to you. I’m glad I found this web site! The Springwood has even been restored to near original condition. If you want I can probably get pictures. It’s amazing.

7. April 21st, 2013 at 06:48 | #7

Yes, please check your email and send me some photos of your Springwod!!! :)

8. valerie Chochla
    May 18th, 2013 at 20:48 | #8

I own a Laurel model Sears home if you’re interested. I live in Phoenixville, PA.

9. James C. Bergdahl
    July 20th, 2013 at 13:45 | #9

I own, and am restoring, a Sears Bungalow Model 177 on 28th Ave., Spokane, WA, 99223, USA.

I know it is a model 177 because yesterday the 89-yr old woman whose father built it in 1923 gave me a photocopy of pages of the catalog of the model 177 house and it is identical, inside and out.

It is a large 1.5 story (4 bdrms/2 baths) with main gables facing away from the front, and a huge front porch with a flying header beam - 36 feet without a post! Its 1st floor plan is awesome.

I can send you a picture if you’d like.

Happy bungalow hunting!

James

10. Carrie Alvers
    March 27th, 2014 at 09:37 | #10

I just bought a Milford model, and it still had the blueprints that came with it. I am located in Upstate NY. Haven’t moved in quite yet, need to do just a little fixing up, but it’s in pretty good condition.

11. March 27th, 2014 at 10:13 | #11

Carrie, that’s quite something!!

Can you send me pictures? Please send them to Rosemary.ringer@gmail.com and put, “I love your books more than anything,” in the subject line.

If you put, “Sears Homes” in the subject line, it will disappear into the crowd. LOL.

Rose