Home > Uncategorized > Beautiful Christiansburg, Virginia - With Sears Homes

Beautiful Christiansburg, Virginia - With Sears Homes

In 2008, Dale and I traveled around Roanoke, Bedford, Lynchburg and Christiansburg looking for kit homes. We only found a handful when we went to Christiansburg, but we found them all in less than 20 minutes.

Last weekend, Hubby Dear and I returned to Christiansburg, and this time, I drove the entire city and didn’t find any more than Dale and I found in 2008!

Click here to see what we found in Roanoke.

Click here to learn a lot more about Sears Homes.

Prrinceville 1919

The Princeville, from the 1919 catalog.

*

1919  sjsjsj

It's tough to get good pictures in hilly areas, but here's the Princeville in Christiansburg. This was a fairly rare model for Sears, but easy to spot!

*

1916

Number 306, as seen in the 1916 catalog.

*

Christians

Christiansburgs' very own Sears Modern Home #306.

*

window

Close-up of the oval window.

*

windows

Again, due to those hills, it's hard to get a good shot, but here's a view of the top of that oval window.

*

house 1928

The Glen Falls from the 1928 catalog.

*

house

Is this a Glen Falls? The owner does not think so, but I suspect that it might be.

*

house

The Sears Matoka was a popular house (1919 catalog).

*

I had to snap this photo from the wrong side (due to landscaping obstructions), but it’s definitely a Matoka!

house ccompare

Detail of the vergeboard on the Matoka.

*

Roanoke Walton 1921

The Sears Walton (1921)

*

Roanoke

Headed home, we passed through Roanoke and I had to dash into this neighborhood when I heard the Sears Homes calling me. And there, I found this little Walton!

*

Westly

The Sears Westly in 1916.

*

Westly

This Westly is in the same neighborhood as the Walton above - in Roanoke!

To learn more about Sears Homes, click here.

To read about the Sears Homes in Roanoke, click here.

*    *   *

  1. February 4th, 2013 at 03:16 | #1

    I don’t think that is a Glen Falls. It looks too small and the dormers are smaller as well.

    The two French doors are closer together and the spacing is off, here again too small. Could be from a plan book is my guess. I know Sears, Wardway, Standard Homes Company, Home Builders Catalog, Chaffee Brothers Co and Harris Brothers all had this house.

    There are probably others!

    What do you think?

  2. February 4th, 2013 at 09:07 | #2

    I’d say there’s a 60% chance it’s a Glenn Falls. And there’s a 40% chance it’s not.

    Maybe 41%. ;)

  1. No trackbacks yet.

Additional comments powered by BackType