Home > Uncategorized > Wow! THREE Sterling Homes in Anderson, SC!

Wow! THREE Sterling Homes in Anderson, SC!

Recently I was visiting family in Pickens, South Carolina and whilst there, I drove more than 400 miles throughout the Western part of the state, seeking kit homes. Sadly, there are not many kit homes in this part of the country.

However, I did find one city in South Carolina that had several kit homes: Anderson, South Carolina.

And there in Anderson, I found not one but three (and possibly four) kit homes from Sterling Homes (based in Bay City). Better yet, one of those kit homes was Sterling’s crème de la crème - the Vernon.

This was their biggest and best kit home, and this was the first Sterling Vernon that I’ve ever found.

And it was a beauty!

I’d love to know if the owners of this house realize that they have a kit home!

And in addition to the Vernon, I also found a Van Dyke and a Ma Cherie, also from Sterling.

UPDATED:  I’ve identified ANOTHER Sterling Home in Anderson! Click here to read the latest blog!!

To read about the OTHER kit homes I found in Anderson, check back in a few days. I’ll be adding those photos soon.

The Sterling Vernon was featured on the cover of their 1928 catalog.

The Sterling Vernon was featured on the cover of their 1928 catalog.

The Vernon was their biggest, fanciest house.

The Vernon was their biggest, fanciest house.

house

And according to this, it was the house of YOUR dreams!

Here it is in Anderson, SC.

Do the owners of this "Vernon" know that they have a kit home?

Close-up on the details.

Close-up on the details.

Sterling

The Sterling Vernon as seen in the 1928 catalog.

The Ma Cherie

The Ma Cherie was a beautiful bungalow offered by Sterling. Pay attention to the details around the front porch.

Anderson

This house in Anderson is a spot-on match to the Sterling "Ma Cherie." And it's in beautifully original condition. Look at the details on the front porch. All the details are perfect.

Another picture of the Ma Cherie in Anderson.

Another picture of the Ma Cherie in Anderson.

The Van Dyke was another popular house for Sterling.

The Van Dyke was another popular house for Sterling.

And

Another beautiful match. This Van Dyke is less than two blocks from the Vernon.

And this is frustrating! I saw this house in Anderson but neglected to get a photo! It was near the other kit homes shown above.

Updated!  This house is at 2309 Edgewood Avenue in Anderson, SC. My kingdom for a photo of this house!!

And this house actually makes FOUR Sterling Homes in Anderson (so the blog title is now in error!).

How did Anderson end up with so many kit homes from a small company in Bay City, Michigan? It’s a real mystery.

If you have any info to add, please leave a comment below.

To learn more about Sterling Homes, click here.

To learn more about Sears Homes, click here.

*   *   *

1. Rachel Shoemaker
    June 18th, 2012 at 10:10 | #1

There is a Sterling Vernon at 8434 N. Main Str. Angola, NY. Maybe a reader will see this and get a photo.

It is masquerading as a a Sears Magnolia, sigh.

My research shows it has been used as a funeral home for several years. http://www.latimoreschiavonefuneralhomeinc.com/

June 18th, 2012 at 10:23 | #2

Ding Ding Ding! The expert on Sterling Homes says “you are correct!”

3. Jeffrey Guilbault
    June 18th, 2012 at 10:39 | #3

The houses above are located in the North Anderson Historic District in Anderson, South Carolina. This is a local and National Register Historic District. I have e-mailed you some additional details and pictures of the fourth house. Thank-you for your interest in Anderson.

4. June 19th, 2012 at 08:13 | #4

@Jeffrey Guilbault
    Jeffrey, may I use that photo on the website?

5. Rachel Shoemaker
    June 19th, 2012 at 19:27 | #5

Sterling Homes catalog from1916 offered three versions of the Ma Cherie, A, B , and C.

By 1928 Sterling Homes offered a fourth version and smaller version of the Ma Cherie “D”. There is a Ma Cherie “A” at 2221 N. Vernon Str in Arlington, Va. and next door at 2229 and 2233 N Vernon are two Sterling Lawndale models.

The folks there think they are “Sears” homes. Well, they *thought*. They know now. The Lawndale at 2229 might even have a Sterling La Salle model garage. ;)

I wonder if there are more Sterling homes in Arlington too?

6. Rachel Shoemaker
    June 19th, 2012 at 20:42 | #6

@Jeffrey Guilbault

I found at least one more and possibly two more Sterling homes in that same neighborhood. At 416 Watson Ave there is a Lawndale and over a street at 509 Glenwood Ave is another Lawndale I *think*. That house and lot is more difficult to see.

7. June 20th, 2012 at 12:52 | #7

Rachel, that’s incredible. Gosh, I’m sure I drove right past those houses and never noticed them!! We need someone to take photos!

8. Rachel Shoemaker
    June 20th, 2012 at 13:03 | #8

@Sears Homes

And while they are at it have them get a photo of the house at 423 Central Ave, corner house. It is from Southern Pines out of New Orleans (1924) and it is model #3001 :)

9. Brian
    November 26th, 2013 at 22:07 | #9

Probably not the picture you were looking for of the home located at 2309 Edgewood Ave in Anderson, but better than no picture at all.

Courtesy Google Maps:

10. tj
    June 19th, 2014 at 14:37 | #10

Stumbled into your pictures and commentary while researching my house in the Old North Anderson neighborhood aka Linley Park .

Recognized the Sterling houses that were pictured right off !

You already have the contact of the Planning Director for the City but if anyone wants pictures from the neighborhood, you can contact me as well.

I’m not from here but having fun finding out about the place that I bought into.

11. tj
    June 19th, 2014 at 14:44 | #11

Another comment - I was reading about C.L. Bowes of Illinois (I believe) who also produced catalogs/books of house plans back in the 20s/30s.

My house has some characteristics of a Bowes home, a mix of a modern cottage with colonial revival symmetry as the ad for the home stated.

The article mentioned that a notable feature in a Bowes home was a step up landing between the living room and the kitchen which also led to the second floor .

My house has that as well as other features on the interior that are a close match.