Home > Uncategorized > The Flossmoor: Good Dental Advice or a Sears House?

The Flossmoor: Good Dental Advice or a Sears House?

Or maybe both?

Yes, the Flossmoor was a Sears House that was offered for a short time in the late 1910s. By 1923, it was gone.

The massive cornice returns make it easy to identify. Another eye-catching feature is the clipped gable and the grouping of three windows on the front.

The 1920 Sears Modern Homes catalog promised, “You will like this.” Apparently, that statement was more hopeful than realistic. In my travels, I’ve only see a couple of these unique houses. Is there one in your neighborhood? If so, stop what you’re doing, get a photo and send it to me.  :)

Flossmoor 1920

Massive cornice returns, clipped gables and the three windows on the home's front make the Flossmoor an easy house to identify (1920).

This Flossmoor was built in Evansville, Indiana and was featured in the 1919 Modern Homes catalog. Is it still standing? Do the owners know what they have?

Should

Mr. F. M. Hills of Evansville, Indiana shouldn't be too hard to find! :)

According to the text in the 1920 catalog,

According to the text in the 1920 catalog, The Flossmoor was also built in these cities. Notice there's supposedly one in New York City!

House

Look at the size of that reception hall! Also, note the "good morning" stairs.

The floorplan was quite simple.

The floorplan was quite simple. A small hallway makes maximum use of the small footprint. Squeezing four small bedrooms out of this floorplan is pretty impressive.

house

Nice house, isn't it? Another feature is that unusually small attic window.

And heres the real life example in Batavia, Illinois.

And here's the real life example in Batavia, Illinois. Be still my heart.

To learn more about Sears Homes, click here.

To see more photos of the Sears Homes of Northern Illinois, click here.

*   *   *

1. Jan
    November 29th, 2012 at 09:37 | #1

I am liking the large pantry off the kitchen, with a window no less! What is with 2 of the upstairs bedrooms having no closet? Overall it does seem like a very good layout for the size of the house.

2. lara
    November 30th, 2012 at 08:53 | #2

Hi, the house is still there at 33 Madison Ave in Evansville, IN. It’s on Google Maps.

3. November 30th, 2012 at 13:43 | #3

Oh my gosh, you’re right!!! How fun is that!!!

Thanks for finding that address!

4. December 17th, 2012 at 14:03 | #4

Just when I thought I had thoroughly researched this testimonial house I found the 1911 and 1912 testimonials for Fred Hills.

I tracked him through the Evansville directories. I remembered why I didn’t create a family tree for him on ancestry.

He lived in TWO places. His address was 33 Madison (changed to 26 at some point) as far back as 1906! In 1905 he lived at 1026 Riverside Ave. In 1915 they “moved” to 3136 Goldsmith Street in San Diego.

They went back and forth I guess between both places for awhile. Several years anyway. I found out that his house was built for him by a contractor named Alfred Bornefeld and that was dated 1911.

So the assessor has the date wrong! The assessor shows 1919.

His California house is still there, shows to be built in 1912. Not anything I recognize but it is a big house. Fred was the Sec/Treas for the Hercules Buggy Co in Evansville and in San Diego he was their resident manager.

Would you check your 1909 catalog and tell me if the Flossmore, C180, is in it by chance?

The HBM says 1912 was the first year it was offered but I have the contractors testimonial dated 1911 and it appeared in the 1912 catalog.

This house was quite possibly built before 1911 since he is at this address years before according to the city directories.
    Mark, can you see what you can find on this house? Like aerial shots of what was there in 1906?

He is at that address in 1906 but Sears didn’t offer houses then. The house was built by 1911. Just FYI the address is now 26 Madison Ave.

5. Heidi A
    October 21st, 2014 at 23:30 | #5

How exciting to see this! It’s the first time I’ve found my particular style of house.

I’ve been able to track the history of my home a bit, and recently had a surprise visit from a woman who was born in this house!

She was the one who gave me the hint about the pantry, as that became the bathroom and had a larger room added on the back where the stoop would’ve been.

According to newspaper accounts and local historians, this was the nicest house built in our small town in Minnesota, back in October of 1914. Time for a centennial celebration! :)

6. Susan B
    June 20th, 2016 at 10:47 | #6

My grandparents’ house in Bladensburg, Md is a Flossmoor. Still standing, my brother recently took photos. My mom was born in that house in 1930.

7. Susan B
    June 20th, 2016 at 13:38 | #7

Here it is, let me know how to send in pics.