Home > Uncategorized > The Crescent: “For Folks Who Like a Touch of Individuality”

The Crescent: “For Folks Who Like a Touch of Individuality”

The Crescent was a very popular kit house for Sears, and I’d venture to guess that it was one of their top ten most popular designs.

It was offered in two floorplans (Mama-sized and Papa-sized) and with an optional extra-high roof (Grandpapa sized).

Because of this, Crescents can be found in all shapes and sizes. Sometimes, the pitch of the porch roof was changed to be more proportionate to the primary roof. Today, this results in all manner of confusion about whether or not a Crescent is the real deal.

Below are several examples of Sears Crescents from all over the country.

House 1

Sears Crescent, as seen in the 1929 Modern Homes catalog.

House 2

"Interior Views" of the Crescent (1929).

kitchen 1929

Close-up of the Crescent's kitchen (1929).

LR 1929

Nice looking living room, too!

Bed

The bedrooms weren't' this big but why let details get in the way of a nice story?

The Crescent was offered with two floorplans.

The Crescent was offered with two floorplans, C33258A (shown here).

And this

And this C3259A (the larger floorplan). Note it has THREE columns on the front porch.

Adding a dormer to the optional finished second floor would have created a lot more space.

Adding a couple dormers (on the front) to the optional "finished" second floor would have created a lot more space. The finished second floor was only offered with the smaller Crescent. But that does not mean that someone couldn't finish off the 2nd floor on their own!

Glen Ellyn

Glen Ellyn (Illinois) has a Crescent with three dormer windows.

Ypsilanti Andrew Mutch

This dormered Crescent is in Ypsilanti. Photo is copyright 2013 Andrew and Wendy Mutch and may not be used or reproduced without written permission.

Ypsilanti Andrew Mutch

In Ypsilanti, they like their Crescents with dormers! Photo is copyright 2013 Andrew and Wendy Mutch and may not be used or reproduced without written permission.

Godfrey

A sad little Crescent waits for death in Godfrey, IL. Again, note the unique angle of the porch roof. This has also been authenticated as a Sears Home.

Raleigh

A picture-perfect Crescent in Raleigh. The dormers were original to the house.

West Point

Some Crescents have very steep porch roofs and some have very shallow. This Crescent in West Point has been authenticated by Rose as the real deal.

Atlanta Crescent

This Crescent look-a-like is in Atlanta. I suspect it is NOT a Crescent.

Crescent Wheaton

A Sears Crescent in Wheaton, IL.

Eastern Shore MD

Hubby and I found this Crescent on the Eastern Shore of Maryland.

Elmhurst IL

Is this a Sears Crescent? It's in Elmhurst IL.

Crescent Elgin

This poor Crescent in Elgin, IL has had a hurting put on it. Rebecca Hunter has authenticated this house as a Sears Crescent.

Elgin

It's been remodeled, but you can still see it's a Crescent. (Elgin, Illinois)

Elgins also

This Crescent is also in Elgin, IL.

Elgins also

Elgin Illinois has the largest known collection of Sears Homes in the country. They have a lot of Sears Crescents, too!

Crystal Lake

Not surprisingly, the Chicago suburbs are full of Sears Homes. This one is in Crystal Lake.

Champaign

Another beautiful Crescent. This one is in Champaign, IL.

house Charlotte

I stalked this house for 30 solid minutes, but the young woman on the porch never did hang up the phone, so in desperation, I snapped a photo of the house, phone caller and all. This beauty is in Charlotte, NC.

Chharlotte

A perfect Crescent in Charlotte, NC.

Bloomginton

This Crescent also has the less-steep pitch on the porch roof, but it's most likely a Sears Crescent. Notice the medallion inside the front porch (on the wall).

Bloomington

This photo was taken in 2003 (and it was scanned from an old slide) and it's in Bloomington, IL.

Wood Riiver

Is this a Crescent? The pitch of the porch roof is much less than that of the traditional porch roof in other Crescents, but I'd be inclined to say it probably is a Crescent. This house is in Wood River, Illinois.

Alton

This Crescent has a dramatically raised second floor. To compensate for the extra steep pitch of the roof, the porch roof was also raised a bit. This beauty is in Alton, Illinois.

Ypsilanti

Yet another dormered Crescent is in Ypsilanti. Photo is copyright 2013 Andrew and Wendy Mutch and may not be used or reproduced without written permission.

And one of my favorites: A beautiul and well-loved Crescent in Webster Groves, MO (near St. Louis).

A beautiful and well-loved Crescent in Webster Groves, MO (near St. Louis). Again, look at the variation on the pitch of that porch roof, and yet this is an authenticated Sears Home.

house Wilmette, IL Rebecca

Now this house has some dormers! It's in Illinois, and was discovered by Rebecca Hunter. Photo is copyright 2013 Rebecca Hunter and may not be used or reproduced without written permission.

The Crescent was a perennial favorite aand was offered from 1919 to 1933.

The Crescent was a perennial favorite and was offered from 1919 to 1933. It's shown here in the 1933 Sears Modern Homes catalog.

To learn more about how to identify kit homes, click here.

*   *   *

1. Rachel
    May 4th, 2013 at 23:41 | #1

I live in Batavia, IL and have a Crescent Model house as well. We even have the actual catalog that the original owner purchased the home from.

2. Mitchell Gillett
    August 11th, 2013 at 18:10 | #2

The third crescent (Pittsfield, not really Ypsilanti) was ours for all of a month and a half in 2005, but our house wouldn’t sell.

It is the B floor plan and was raised and a new basement put in, and main room kept original, with kitchen and bath updated (badly).

It wouldn’t sell after the seller wouldn’t renew with us, and eight months later it became a rental property, and that was when they pulled all the original windows (argh).

It was what got me heavy into bungalow/kit homes, and getting you book. I was gathering pictures of many of the same homes to let you know of the group of kit homes we have in the area, but I got beat.

Mitch Gillett

3. Andrew Mutch
    August 12th, 2013 at 11:44 | #3

@Mitchell Gillett Mitch thanks for sharing that information about the house.

I was the one who took the photos in Pittsfield (I don’t think I realized that was actually Pittsfield until later).

Do you know of any other kit homes in that area besides the Wardway Dresden, the Vallonia and the three Crescents? Know any of the history of why those houses ended up where they did?

Nobody from the local historical societies was able to shed any light on how those homes ended up there.

4. Jeff Salisbury
    August 31st, 2013 at 14:26 | #4

I live right next to a very nice Crescent in Wayland, Michigan. Remarkably well-kept home.

At some point the entire home was raised about 3-cement blocks. I’ve been in the unfinished basement years ago and it sat once-upon-a-time on a “Michigan basement” but now the entire profile is raised including the front porch.

Very nicely done though so you’d never know from the outside. It’s about to go on the market according to my neighbor.

5. Kathy Garza
    September 9th, 2013 at 18:34 | #5

We bought a lovely little Crescent about 35 years ago in Valparaiso, Indiana.

It was built with a full basement with garage to fit a Model T. The drive was later back filled.

The doorway and front windows are original. The attic (sans dormers) has been made into a couple of bedrooms and closet space.

6. Betsy Thompson
    December 8th, 2013 at 10:52 | #6

The Crescent reminds me of the Ardara. Were they produced at the same time or did one precede the other?

7. Constantine
    December 25th, 2013 at 23:09 | #7

We have a Crescent as well in north Jersey.

We have been interested in expanding the house, but maintaining its craftsman style.

We have a small sunroom in the middle rear of the house and our second floor is one large master bedroom with small full bath.

8. Rick S
    February 6th, 2014 at 17:10 | #8

I live near one outside Sun Prairie WI and work near one in Madison Wi. Would you like photos and addresses?

The original owner of the one in Sun Prairie was the grandparents of the currnent owner.

They have added on a larger kitchen and dining/family area on the back in the footprint like the B model.

Rick

9. Sandi
    June 17th, 2014 at 15:19 | #9

@Andrew Mutch
    There’s a Hathaway that was for sale a little bit ago on Packard Rd.

10. Lisa O’Connor
    October 6th, 2014 at 23:10 | #10

The Crescent pictured from Elmhurst, Il is our 1924 Sears Crescent.

It is, indeed, an authentic Crescent which was lovingly updated and remodeled, but maintains it’s original charm.

11. Elizabeth
    February 14th, 2015 at 20:13 | #11

Hello!

So I’m thinking I have just purchased a Crescent built in 1930.

I believe it would be the larger floor plan C3259A. Can anyone help me decide?

12. February 16th, 2015 at 16:24 | #12

@Elizabeth
    Yes, that is a Crescent.

I’ve got lots of interior photos of a 1928 Sears Crescent, pretty much all original, if you are interested in seeing them shoot me a message or join Rose’s facebook group here…. http://www.facebook.com/groups/searsmodernhomes/

I’ll show you where can see them. You will recognize a few things :)

13. Elizabeth
    February 18th, 2015 at 23:35 | #13

@Rachel Shoemaker
    Thanks so much Rachel!!!

And I’d LOVE to see the pics–would you be able to email them to me? I don’t have a facebook account.

Thank you!

14. Katie
    March 23rd, 2015 at 13:47 | #14

Hi all,

I would love to know if this house is a 1926 Sears Crescent?!

Thanks!

15. Lorry miceli
    November 12th, 2015 at 19:14 | #15

My parents owned a Crescent 1607 Whitcomb Ave. Des Plaines, il

16. Pushpak Patel
    May 8th, 2016 at 10:33 | #16

We bought the Crescent about 25 years ago in Paramus, New Jersey. And it still looks same!

17. Eileen Donahugh
    August 21st, 2016 at 00:09 | #17

We purchased a 1926 Crescent from the original owners, everything is original with blueprints and original cabinets, woodwork and lighting. In fact, our lighting is still the push button type. We absolutely love our home in West Dundee, Illinois.

18. Doug Marek
    September 11th, 2016 at 15:44 | #18

3 Fuller Avenue, Chatham, NJ. Always believed it was a ‘24 Crescent..built in 1927 by my paternal grandfather. Remained in the family thru 1999 when my mother died. Has the ‘58A floor plan. A ’sun room’ with French windows was added off the dining room; It was included with the original plans when the house was sold.

What gets me is the original Sears double garage is still on site; one where the side panels were supposed to provide much of the support. My father and I each repaired those panels numerous times.

Sadly the oak bookcase room dividers between the LR and DR were taken out in the mid fifties. The place was sided in 1981 when the front trim disappeared. Original stuff as the front door, porch light, porch columns are original. The flower boxes were replaced in the mid 1990’s.

Haven’t been back since the day I sold the place…