Home > Uncategorized > My Sweet Teddy

My Sweet Teddy

Dear little Teddy got into something that caused her to vomit within 1-2 hours, and then she recovered. This happened several times over a span of several months, and yet after each “event,” she seemed okay a few hours later. I’m now wondering if she ingested something toxic.

I’d also be grateful to know what might cause such a reaction in a Sheltie. Could it be mushrooms? Antifreeze? What would cause such an event?

She’s been to the vet several times since then and is in excellent health now. Any ideas what could make a 45-pound Sheltie so sick so fast?

Thanks.

*

Her good health is my best Christmas present.

Her good health is my best Christmas present.

*

Teddy as a little puppy.

Teddy as a little puppy (early 2009).

*

To read about Sears Homes, click here.

*

  1. December 16th, 2016 at 10:52 | #1

    Could Teddy have a sensitive stomach and have problems with corn, wheat or soy. I have a black mini poodle named Teddy.

    He is allergic to corn. Vomiting and diarrhea problems till the vet and I finally found out corn was the problem. I cook for my Teddy when he is not well. Plain chicken breast with rice and broccoli and egg is his favorite.

    I would watch your Teddy closely around the house and see what he is getting into especially outside. Dogs find all kinds of things. My Teddy found a squirrel tail after a hawk had dinner one afternoon.

    Also check your yard and I stopped spraying my lawn for weeds. I hope this helps to lead your Teddy to better health, good luck! Denise

  2. December 16th, 2016 at 11:32 | #2

    Teddy was put on a doctor-prescribed diet many years ago. The random vomiting continued.

  3. December 16th, 2016 at 12:45 | #3

    Something like antifreeze etc will show in their bloodwork, actually, antifreeze would have killed her quickly and very small doses would have at least shown kidney failure.

    I’d rule out chemicals or toxic substances if her bloodwork was fine and she shows no signs of organ failure now.

    I suspect small a dose of syrup of ipecac or peroxide, or something similar, was administered. These are common household items and often used to induce vomiting.

  4. Bette Dickenson
    December 16th, 2016 at 12:56 | #4

    I would have blood work done, if you haven’t already. That could provide useful clues.

    There are too many things that could cause those symptoms….anything from a disease, to allergies, to eating some toxic substance, to eating a foreign body that periodically covers the outlet from the stomach (yeah, I’ve seen that happen). Your vet should be the one to diagnose Teddy.

    You don’t have to worry about antifreeze being a culprit. Lapping up even a teaspoon of that deadly stuff will kill a large dog. Teddy would not be here if that were the case.

  5. Sandi Daniel
    December 17th, 2016 at 00:32 | #5

    Def let a DVM diagnose this and don’t fall prey to “arm chair medicine” on the Internet or well meaning people on Facebook.

    There are so many things that could cause these symptoms and without proper medical work up (lab values, blood work, etc), it’s a throw of the dice.

    I’ve been in the animal health industry for 22 years but always take my pets to a veterinarian for any symptomatic condition plus 2 “Well Pet” visits a year.

    I know Teddy means the world to you.

  6. Rebecca Eddy
    December 17th, 2016 at 01:24 | #6

    So sorry your baby is going through this. Can you describe Teddy’s vomit content?

    Is the product yellow, foamy, partially digested food, whole food particles?

    I’ve had several pups with vomit issues. It would be a pleasure to help if you would allow.

  7. toni
    December 17th, 2016 at 10:32 | #7

    I would be suspecting her dog food. They can put anything they want in it and one batch to another could be made from entirely different ingredient sources. Beneful dog food is a known culprit in dog circles. As mentioned, grain could also be the problem. RX dog food is no different than any other dog food; all comes out of the same pot. And treats. It’s very easy and takes little time to dehydrate real meat from the grocery store to make treats.
    http://truthaboutpetfood.com/another-pet-food-lawsuit/

  8. Deirdre
    December 17th, 2016 at 17:03 | #8

    I hope your vet figures something out soon. Sending good wishes to Teddy.

  9. Jen
    December 19th, 2016 at 21:29 | #9

    It sounds to me like something you should talk to your vet about, honestly.

    We have a collie, who certainly has a sensitive system—he’s allergic to wheat, chicken, and rather amusingly considering what he was bred for, lamb. But if this keeps happening periodically to Teddy, I’m wondering if there’s perhaps ‘people food’ you’re sharing with her that you don’t realize she shouldn’t have—someone has told me herding types shouldn’t have tomatoes, for instance (?!). A couple of years ago we had to stop my uncle from giving my parents’ dog an M&M! Maybe a neighbor is good-heartedly giving Teddy treats and there’s something that does not agree with her in those?

    Regardless, a vet visit may not be out of order! I hope Teddy turns out all right, and am glad she’s okay this time!

  1. No trackbacks yet.

Additional comments powered by BackType