Home > Uncategorized > Thank You For Your Prayers…

My new life began today, at the age of 58. In fact, I’d say that this is easily one of the happiest days of my life.

Given the events of the last 18 months, that’s saying a lot.

Last Saturday, I toured a house for sale in Suffolk, Virginia. Today, 10 days later, we closed.

This house is beyond anything I could have hoped for and dreamt of, and it is the house that I have waited for my entire life. It’s in perfect condition and has a new roof, new carpet, new paint and a tiny kitchen. If I were to sit down and design a house today, it’d probably look much like this house. It’s perfect for me and my new life.

It’s small enough to be manageable and large enough for my furniture. It’s extremely well-built, and I’m told that the home’s first (and only ) owner was a military man who kept everything in perfect order. And it shows. In every way - it shows.

This house is a peach.

It was built by a Vietnam-war veteran in 1976, and designed by his bride, a native of Japan. The 1/2-acre lot is filled with exotic and extraordinary plantings. And it’s surrounded with a chain-link fence, perfect for Teddy the Dog.

After closing, after I entered my new home for the first time, I stood in the living room and wept. They were tears of joy.

After my much-loved husband committed suicide, I spent several months asking anyone and everyone, “Will I ever be happy again?”

Today, I can answer that question: Yes. I now remember how it feels to experience happiness.

Took me 18 months to get here, but I feel those glimmers of joy stirring in my soul.

I’ll never be the same person. My life was forever changed by Wayne’s very poor choices. But today, I am happy, and it feels so good.

Thanks for your prayers. Thanks for staying with me. And thanks for helping me remember that I am someone other than the widow of a man who ended his life.

With a heart full of gratitude,

Rosemary Thornton

Here in Hampton Roads, its almost impossible to find a house with a basement/garage and yet its a feature that I love.

Here in Hampton Roads, it's almost impossible to find a house with a basement/garage and yet it's a feature that I love. The garage is more than 600 square feet.

The house is near an estuary of the Elizabeth River, and yet it sits high on the lot. One of my frequent complaints about brick ranches is that they sit so low to the ground. This feels like a treehouse!

The front door is reflective of a Mid-Century house, and yet this house was built in 1976. Everything about this house is in perfect order.

Inside,

Inside, there's a small foyer and access to the basement/garage and also living area. It's a design that I've never seen before, and yet it's delightful and compelling. Simplistic, but elegant!

Inside

Inside, the massive fireplace dominates the living room, which is one of my favorite features. To the right are the three (small) bedrooms, separated with a sliding door. Ideal for someone who craves quiet!

A large den at the far right of the house is filled with large windows, which is another delightful feature. Because theres no attached garage, the house has no blank (windowless) exterior walls.

A large den at the far right of the house is filled with large windows, which is another delightful feature. Because there's no attached garage, the house has no blank (windowless) exterior walls.

Another delightful feature: A Japanese tub in the master bathroom.

Another delightful feature: A Japanese tub in the master bathroom.

Ive owned this house for four hours (as of October 10th) and I can hardly wait to give this massive tub a test drive. It looks purely delightful.

I've owned this house for four hours (as of October 10th) and I can hardly wait to give this massive tub a test drive. It looks purely delightful.

Update: My daughter came for a visit today (October 15, 2017) and sat right down in the tub, to give a sense of proportion and scale. Made by Kohler, this tub is original to the house.

The kitchen is small, which is just right for my needs.

The kitchen is small, which is just right for my needs. The house is old enough to be sturdy and well-built, and yet is filled with modern conveniences and clean shiny surfaces.

Another fine feature: The basement.

Another fine feature: The basement. As someone who loves old houses, it's very important to me that I have access to the mechanical systems. Here in Southeastern Virginia, so many houses are built on miserable crawlspaces and are barely navigable. This house is built up high enough that you walk under the house - from front to back.

From front to back, the house is perfect in every way.

From front to back, the house is perfect in every way.

Thanks to Kathy Worthen for making this happen.

1. Linda Ramsey
    October 10th, 2017 at 15:07 | #1

So awesome Rosemary! So glad you were able to find YOUR house!

May this be the start of a wonderful new chapter.

2. L.A. Mathews
    October 10th, 2017 at 15:18 | #2

This house is beautiful and I’m so happy for you.

Now, though, I’m curious who Joyce Meyers is… former real estate agent, perhaps?

3. Matt Farmer
    October 10th, 2017 at 15:24 | #3

Congrats!!!!

4. bfish
    October 10th, 2017 at 15:30 | #4

Lovely, and congratulations Rosemary!

You have teased us with the description of the yard; I hope photos are forthcoming for that.

5. October 10th, 2017 at 15:41 | #5

Joyce Meyers preaches this prosperity gospel garbage. She claims that nothing happens to us unless we use “stinkin’ thinking.”

I wish someone would ask her to explain the holocaust.

6. Susan Schnittger
    October 10th, 2017 at 17:55 | #6

How lovely. Be it ever so humble, there’s no place like home. I hope you enjoy every minute in it.

It was waiting just for you !

Plenty of room in the basement to store all the copies of your book that you will sell. Just set them up on a shelf. I’m happy for you !

When’s the house warming party. :-) :-) :-)

7. Jan
    October 10th, 2017 at 18:14 | #7

Now I’m weeping with you reading this news. Congratulations on the purchase of this beautiful home!

8. Abby Innes
    October 10th, 2017 at 19:21 | #8

This is amazing news. I am so, unbelievably happy for you! What a beautiful place!

9. Cynthia Ward
    October 10th, 2017 at 20:20 | #9

Yes!!!! Rejoicing with you in Anaheim, dear friend! So happy for you! it is perfect for you, and it feels SAFE, like a big cozy hug that wraps around you.

That house looks like it will stand against any storm, my friend. Weather or otherwise. be well, be blessed, be JOYFUL!

10. Laura
    October 10th, 2017 at 20:38 | #10

It’s beautiful! I’m SO very happy for you and your sweet doggy. Congrats!

Laura Ruben

October 10th, 2017 at 21:59 | #11

Lots of lessons in this journey. Use what you have learned to help others.

For Thanksgiving, I would like a seat next to Teddy.

12. Julia Ann King
    October 10th, 2017 at 22:35 | #12

Perfect Rosemary, I am so happy for you, new beginnings :)

13. Rita Wilson
    October 10th, 2017 at 23:38 | #13

Congratulations on your new home. It looks wonderful. Absolutely love the kitchen cabinets and countertop.

Not too sure about the tub but it is your house and you love it so enjoy every minute of soaking in it.

So glad that you are finally in a space of your own. It will make all the difference in the world for you.

14. Jenny
    October 11th, 2017 at 12:51 | #14

Congrats! I love the lush green yard and the cool bathtub.

15. Roger Duroid
    October 11th, 2017 at 20:21 | #15

Love the all brick house feature. Let’s see Teddy in the garden.

16. Petra Jaeger
    October 12th, 2017 at 06:03 | #16

Oh Rosemary! I’m so happy for you. I’m loving the house!

Congratulations, many happy and healthy years in your new house.

Hugs, Petra

17. Rhonda
    October 12th, 2017 at 08:36 | #17

The house is so bright and happy, and you’re healing and happy! This is, indeed, a wonderful turning point!

18. Becky Sharrett
    October 12th, 2017 at 08:57 | #18

Congratulations Rosemary! I am so happy that you have found the perfect home for you! It looks awesome!

My mother used to tell me that “good things happen to those who wait”, and she was right.

Wishing you the very best for the future!

19. Jen
    October 14th, 2017 at 16:13 | #19

Congratulations—I’m so happy for you! That is a lovely, sweet, cozy-looking home.

May you spend many happy and comfortable years in this darling new place.

20. Virginia
    October 16th, 2017 at 11:39 | #20

Oh the joy of answered prayer!

May you leave the hurt of the past behind you and walk into your new life with strength, hope, and joy.

May the blessings of the Lord fill your new home. Peace.

21. Jenean Hall
    October 22nd, 2017 at 08:39 | #21

Your presentation last Friday evening at Ker Place in Onancock was delightful. It was fun. It was informative. (I’ve now read all about Addie.)

Thank you for sharing your work.

Your laughter is threaded with joy. May that fabric continue to strengthen.

22. Hadley Donohue
    October 24th, 2017 at 19:04 | #22

Congratulations!! Wonderful that you have felt joy again.

How fabulous that your transaction was accomplished so quickly. May you enjoy making this beautiful house a home.

23. October 24th, 2017 at 20:27 | #23

I am SOOOOOO happy to read this.

24. Cindy
    October 27th, 2017 at 13:51 | #24

You are a very good writer. I was applauding and crying for you at the same time.

Love the red tub and the overall description of your house.