Home > Uncategorized > What’s My Happy Color?

What’s My Happy Color?

Six months ago, a new chapter of my life began when I moved into this house in Suffolk, Virginia. In the 12 months prior to that, I’d often tell people, “I want a house that’s quirky and fun, something that’s solid and well-built, but unique. When people walk into the front door, I want them to think - this LOOKS like something Rosemary would buy!”

And I found it.

As someone who studies old houses, I don’t know that I’ve ever seen a floorplan like this. I’m not even sure I can identify what style of house this is.

And on a related note, ever since I replaced the old storm door, I’ve been dreaming about a new color for the exterior shutters. Perhaps brown is the best color to complement the earth-toned bricks, but if you can think of a new color, please let me know.

Thanks in advance for any and all comments.

Want to learn how to identify kit homes? Click here.

One of this homes most appealing features was that it had been beautifully maintained by its first (and only) owners. And yet, the storm door was a little tired and quite drafty. After it was replaced with the new full-view door but that has inspired me to re-think the shutter color.

One of this home's most appealing features was that it had been beautifully maintained by its first (and only) owners. And yet, the storm door was a little tired and a bit drafty. After it was replaced with the new full-view door (right side) , that inspired me to re-think the shutter color.

If anyone has any guesses as to the year of manufacture for this door, Id love to know. The house was built in 1976, but surely the door isnt 40 years old - or is it?

If anyone has any guesses as to the year of manufacture for this door, I'd love to know. The house was built in 1976, but surely the door isn't 40 years old - or is it?

The new storm door was under $200 at Lowes and does a fine job of highlighting that beautiful 1950s-ish looking front door. And Teddy the Dog loves it too.

That front door looks more like something youd find on a 1950s ranch, and its one of my favorite features on this 40-year-old custom-built brick ranch.

That front door looks more like something you'd find on a 1950s ranch, and it's one of my favorite features on this 40-year-old custom-built house.

As I mentioned above, Ive never seen a floorplan such as Ive seen in this house.

As I mentioned above, I've never seen a floorplan such as I've seen in this house. On the other side of that full-view storm door is this massive chimney, rising up from the floor to the ceiling. It provides privacy, so that you can't peak in the front door and see the living room.

The living room (and the wood stove insert) is on the other side.

The living room (and fireplace with wood stove insert) is on the other side of that large brick chimney. You can see a bit of the front door behind that fireplace (with the old storm door). The space on the right is the stairwell that leads to the basement garage.

Its a mighty narrow stairwell that leads to the basement/garage, and its built with concrete block walls. I have not been able to figure out why a staircase would need to be built like a bomb shelter.

It's a mighty narrow stairwell that leads to the basement/garage, and it's built with concrete block walls. I have not been able to figure out why a staircase would need to be built like a bomb shelter.

Within that front foyer are two steps which lead to the living space. I spend my life thinking about houses and I cant even come up with a name for this particular style.

Within that front foyer are two steps which lead to the living space. I spend my life thinking about houses and I can't even come up with a name for this particular style. I suppose it's a brick ranch, but this sunken foyer is quite unique!

Back to the question at hand - what color shutters do I want?

Back to the question at hand - what color shutters do I want? Or is brown simply the best choice? The roof is also brown. However, the brown storm door is gone!

Shutter

Things were a lot more green when I bought the house in early October 2017. I'm looking forward to seeing that pretty green color again!

Thanks in advance for any and all comments.

Want to learn how to identify kit homes? Click here.

1. Anonymouse
    March 15th, 2018 at 19:08 | #1

Pale Gray might look good on those shutters.

2. mol106
    March 15th, 2018 at 21:40 | #2

I think you should stay in the earth-tone/autumn range (brown, orange, yellow), but do something bright. Not neon, just so it stands out a bit.

March 16th, 2018 at 06:53 | #3

The house was built by a military man, who was probably thinking of keeping his family safe in any contingency.

As for the shutters, the white storm door does seem to jar things a bit.

Mayhap a consult with a reader who is an interior designer?

Or see if you can find some shutters of various colors and try them on.

4. Linda
    March 16th, 2018 at 11:06 | #4

Your home was lovely before, but the white storm door has added a lot to it.

That was something that needed to happen. As for the shutters, I think the brown works really well with the brick.

It picks out the “outnumbered” brown bricks and makes them stand out a little more against the beige.

If you just want to change them, though, I agree that an autumnish color is what goes with the house…rust maybe?

5. Ruth Holmes
    March 16th, 2018 at 11:38 | #5

Quirky? How about a light turquoise.

Traditional: Dark green

Anxious to see what color you choose, please post your decision.

6. Carol
    March 16th, 2018 at 21:00 | #6

Brown is the obvious choice, so if you do go with that, it should be a rich chocolaty brown.

But I’d go with “poppy red” - it’s orange enough to compliment the house, but deep and red enough to not look like a fast food place.

7. lyn clark
    March 17th, 2018 at 23:39 | #7

I like the white. Just put a cheery colorful wreath on the door.

8. Mandi
    March 18th, 2018 at 20:36 | #8

Hi Rose! I live on a street that is entirely Sears kit homes (except one from what I’ve read).

I live in the Grandyle Village area of Grand Island NY.

I have had no luck identifying my house in floorplans I’ve found or stamped lumber!

Could I send you a photo in hopes you can identify whether mine is the only non sears home on the block?! -Mandi

9. March 19th, 2018 at 11:35 | #9

@Mandi
    Please join Rose’s facebook group in the link above.

There is an album of all of the Grandyle Village homes.

That was a planned community and the plans will not be found in a catalog.

Your house may be one in the album!

10. Jenny
    March 21st, 2018 at 12:30 | #10

I think a dark green would look lovely on the shutters.

I love the design on your front door.

If you paint it too, I think it would have to be a light color so the detail doesn’t get lost.

11. Sabina Pade
    April 2nd, 2018 at 12:30 | #11

Given that the roof line of the house is relatively low to the ground and that the entire wall surface is accessible using a 12′ ladder, I would be inclined to remove the shutters entirely, and grow ivy on the walls.

I don’t know whether termites are a particularly troublesome concern on your property, but an in-ground baiting system, in concert with regular inspection of the walls at the soil and roof lines, should be able to manage it.

12. Jeanne
    April 14th, 2018 at 05:55 | #12

Have you already made a decision? If not, I think that white, to match the doors, windows, eaves, and gutters, would be a lovely, harmonious choice.

13. Rita Wilson
    May 15th, 2018 at 15:10 | #13

A little late to the party, but for me the color of the brick cries out for color.

Not something subdued such as brown but a terra cotta color which would provide a pop of color and interest.

There is too much brown in the roof shingles and in the bare earth.

It is crying out for something bolder but not garish.

14. Deb Haskell
    May 16th, 2018 at 08:41 | #14

Green always looks nice with red brick. You’d have to find a shade that appeals to you.

15. May 21st, 2018 at 20:50 | #15

Green always looks nice with red brick.