Home > Uncategorized > Help In The Garden?

Help In The Garden?

It seems as though winter is finally over, and Teddy and I have been spending time in the yard. She and I have been trying to figure out what type of plants we have here.

If you can help identify these two items, we’d both be very grateful.

Teddy just came back from the groomer, so she is looking quite clean and well coiffed.

ff

When I bought the house in October, this "thing" was a bundle of twigs on the ground, and we put up a trellis for it. I thought it was wisteria, but now that the wisteria has blossomed in other places in the yard, I see that it is NOT wisteria. I would be grateful for any insights.

fff

Is this a flowering plant? Is it an ornamental plant?

Because I am really concerned that I just spent $200 to put a trellis up for poison ivy (or its ilk).

Or did I just spend $200 to put a trellis up for poison ivy?

ffffe

Now flowers yet, but what is it?

flowers

Shown above is a clipping from a fruit tree in the front yard. I suspect it's an apple tree, but I really don't know. I do think it's a fruit tree of some kind. Any insights?

ffee

Close-up of the blossoms.

fffeee

The leaves have little furry edges.

Teddy and I appreciate your help.

Teddy and I appreciate your help.

To learn about kit homes, click here.

1. April 13th, 2018 at 01:04 | #1

Kwanzan cherry tree might be the pink blooming tree.

Don’t give up on the vine, it could be wisteria yet. I have a wisteria that leafs out after my other and blooms much later as well.

I can’t remember the variety name and I can’t find the tag for it. I’ll think on it and look for the tag some more.

April 13th, 2018 at 06:09 | #2

Don’t know anything about flowers, but would like to know more about Wisteria, since I have a racetrack in one of my books named for the same.

3. Amber
    April 13th, 2018 at 07:31 | #3

Those beautiful pink blossoms are from a Dwarf Flowering Almond. Gorgeous!!

The vine really does possibly look like Wisteria.

If it has been lacking tlc in recent years, perhaps it’s a bit “stunted”??

If not, my second guess would be Trumpet Vine. I’m sure you can’t wait to see it’s blossoms so you can end the mystery!

4. April 13th, 2018 at 09:50 | #4

@Rachel J Shoemaker
    Kwanzan Cherry Tree is a winner! When we bought this house, the daughter of the home’s original owners gave us a lot of information (verbal) about the plants. I should have made notes!

April 13th, 2018 at 18:18 | #5

Wait, did I stumble on the wrong website?

I need help identifying my house!

6. Sarah
    April 13th, 2018 at 21:08 | #6

That looks like American wisteria, Wisteria frutescens. It has rounder leaves than Chinese wisteria and blooms slightly later. It is definitely NOT poison ivy.

7. Jenny
    April 17th, 2018 at 12:12 | #7

No idea what they are, but the pink blossoms are pretty!
    Teddy is a good looking dog.

8. April 19th, 2018 at 00:17 | #8

Love the photos!! A hug for Teddy :)