Readers’ Comments

1. Michael Marks
    October 15th, 2018 at 14:22 | #1

Hi Rose.

Hope you’re doing well. This is Michael Marks from the Texas Standard, the daily, statewide radio news show.

I’m interested in learning more about Sears homes in Texas for a possible story. I found your site, and wanted to see if you had some time tomorrow or Wednesday for a conversation. My schedule is fairly flexible, and I think the conversation would take around 20 minutes or so. Is there a time that works for you?

Let me know if you’ve got any questions or concerns.

2. October 17th, 2018 at 19:50 | #2

Hello - I love your site! Our home is a Gordon-van Tine #603 and I see that you have a picture from the catalog of that model. I have been searching for a jpeg of this catalog page so that I can print and frame it. I would like to hang the picture in our home to give some character / history to the house. Is it possible to get an electronic copy of that photo? Thanks!

3. Valerie
    October 20th, 2018 at 21:21 | #3

I am so excited to find your website. I have been researching my home in St. Petersburg, FL and found it in the 1926 Gordon-van Tine book, it’s house No. 616.

It did have a fireplace installed in the living room when it was built. I had many questions as to what other alterations had been done to the floor plan over the years, now I know!

We are planning an update and restoration, many horrible decision in decor done in the kitchen and bathroom. I would rather have had the original rooms and worked from there.

Hope to take it back to it’s former glory and put a small addition on the back. This will help me make historically correct decisions so it looks like it was always there! If you would like a photo email me and I will send you one.

4. Jim Donovan
    October 24th, 2018 at 14:18 | #4

I bought a house from a neighbor’s estate and updated a number of items.

I came across a Sears Homart Automatic Water Heater Repair Parts List, Installation, and Operating Instructions book in very good shape.

Hate to dispose of it. Is there anywhere that might be interested in this?

5. Richard Vestal
    November 5th, 2018 at 17:18 | #5

I have a Sears home in Williston, ND - came in by rail and was installed in 1906. I haven’t found my home in a catalog though - I wondered if I could send you a picture if you would be able to identify the model and direct me to where I might find a catalog with this model in it?

Thanks so much!

6. November 11th, 2018 at 14:37 | #6

Hello all … am pleased to have found this site. I am the happy owner of a Winona over on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. Have been restoring this little bungalow for past two or three years. Fortunately most of its elements, architecture and parts were still intact. Original light fixtures were in storage or mis-hung here and there. Original bathtub and bath fixtures still remain. Anyway … I look forward to sharing enthusiasm and technical details with others.

7. November 11th, 2018 at 15:01 | #7

Mine is the three-bedroom model.

~Suzanne

8. Patrick
    November 20th, 2018 at 15:30 | #8

I have an American Four Square that I’ve been unable to find online thus far. I’ve been told it was built in 1918 out of a Sears Magazine and would love to find the original listing to frame. It is two stories with a 4 column porch covering the entire house. We think there were 6 bedrooms upstairs originally and there are 6 fireplaces total. It’s an absolutely beautiful house and I’d love to share pictures. Thank you for any help you can provide.

9. November 23rd, 2018 at 23:09 | #9

@Patrick

Yes, I agree. It would be wonderful to be able post pictures of our homes and see images of others’ homes. Is this a possibility, Rosemary ?

~ S.

November 25th, 2018 at 06:54 | #10

@Patrick — Have you been to the County Clerk’s office to get the original information?

11. November 26th, 2018 at 09:41 | #11

Hi Suzanne,

If someone wants to send me photos, I can post them on my website. If you send me photos, please include a line that says, “I give specific permission to Rosemary Thornton to reprint these images on her website.”

You can send them to magnolia2047@gmail.com

Rosemary

12. VALOREE VARGO
    November 27th, 2018 at 11:26 | #12

Hi Rose. Heard the Podcast and I am fascinated. My grandmother who is now 101 still lives in the Sears home they built in 1937.

Beside her house, is my great grandmother’s Sears home, built in 1936. I am sure my grandmother must be one of the oldest living people in her Sears home, for now 82 years.

She would be happy to talk about it, and I am happy to send photos, I do not believe these homes are currently on your registry. If you are interested, please contact me via email. Thank you. Valoree

13. Mary E. Meyer
    December 9th, 2018 at 23:49 | #13

I just ordered your two books on Sears homes and I would like them autographed!! We live in a Sears home, Hazelton model. Thank you very much.

14. David
    December 18th, 2018 at 04:56 | #14

Is this: https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/1908-Vineyard-St_Bluefield_WV_24701_M39765-71118 a Serars 188?https://www.flickr.com/photos/ffshoe/26914845946/in/album-72157668003402541/ The turret roof are obviosly different and there are fire places between parlor and dining room instead of pocket doors, but those are things easily modified when buildig a house.

15. December 18th, 2018 at 08:20 | #15

@Amanda
    Thanks for the lovely comment! I often come to this page just to read the encouraging words. Each and every jot and tittle brings me comfort.

Thank you!

16. John Burnside
    January 27th, 2019 at 15:08 | #16

Hi Rose. I’m here in Bay City Michigan and routinely drive past my favorite Aladdin home; The Shelburne.

The original model they used in the 1937 catalog is located at 66 Salzburg and looks pretty much the same, except for the addition of a garage and room above.

I have a ‘then-and-now’ picture, but seem unable to load it up here. Google maps shows the street view of 66 Salzburg for you to see it.

17. January 29th, 2019 at 19:00 | #17

Hi Rose,

I am emailing you from a kit house much further south than most of your readers, Port Aransas. I was hoping to attach a picture of the museum.

It has always been considered a Sears kit house built in 1919 and delivered to our island after being assembled on the mainland by barge or assembled here.

It was commandeered or purchases by the U.S. Lifesaving Service in 1919 after a hurricane destroyed their station in 1916 and survived every hurricane following, including Harvey.

I am hoping this will arouse your curiosity and visit our website and determine if it is a Sears house. No visible marking in the rafters can be found.

The house was moved 3 blocks from it’s original location to avoid demolition. We have a picture in 1921 of the house standing with almost no other “town” surrounding it after the 1919 storm.

I would be happy to purchase a book that had the model in it. I could not see it in the Sears Archive.

Thanks,
    Cliff Strain
    new Museum Director

18. Patti
    February 4th, 2019 at 14:44 | #18

Hello. I stumbled upon your website trying to find out more about my home.

It turns out I own a Sears modern home #126, built in 1911. The back porch has been enclosed and the front porch has been replaced with wood.

The windows appear to be original to the home. I find it odd though, that the plans I see all show the living room as being on the opposite side as the home I have.

Is there a site/place that would have additional interior pictures of this model home? I would love to learn more! Thank you for all of the information you are sharing!

19. Travis
    February 10th, 2019 at 05:13 | #19

Hello Rose,

My family and I purchased an early craftsman home in Nova Scotia Canada last year.

While it may not be a sears kit home I wonder because there are stories of this house having the lumber delivered by train. The house has all of it’s original Douglas fir trim and there is not a Douglas fir for 2000 miles around Nova Scotia.

It was supposed to have been built in 1911.

There are a few examples in my town that do match Sears plans but ours is a little different with regards to the front porch and dormer.

The interior is in excellent condition with original plaster and built-ins. The interior is very similar to the Vallonia. If you are interested in taking a look - send me a note and I will give you the address to google earth it.

The exterior wood shingles have been covered with plastic and fake shutters and gutters added - I promise to bring back the exterior in the next few years!

Another hint that it may have come as a kt is that the original windows (under the aluminum storms) are the cross pattern on the first floor and square on the second floor.

They are very well made and I cannot find similar examples in our area.

We love this well built house and would love any info on it.

Thanks,
    Travis

20. Travis
    February 10th, 2019 at 05:42 | #20

Hi Again Rose,

I should have done a little more reading before I sent a message regarding my house in Canada. I see that my house does not match any plans exactly but is very close to a later model of Sears home. I also read that you were backing away a little from this line of work. I say - nice work and follow your passions!

Best wishes,
    Travis

February 14th, 2019 at 02:17 | #21

Travis, Canada had its own pre-cut housing industry. Nearest to you was Aladdin Canada in Toronto and Petersboro, and Halliday Homes in Hamilton.

Look in the basement joists and attic rafters for part stampings. Eaton of Toronto offered House Plan catalogs from which you could purchase blueprints.

Les Henry is the authority on Canadian Kit Homes, and author of “Catalogue Houses, Eatons and Others.”

Your local library may have copy but if you google “Les Henry Catalogue Homes,” you’ll find good information.

22. Susan O
    March 2nd, 2019 at 23:41 | #22

Hi there! I lived in a Sears home for several years, the Oakdale model. If you search it, the one I keep finding first is the actual home my sister owns.

I am in love with the detailing. I insisted that we redo the windows with historically accurate new windows (saved lots of money in heating).

This note is not about her home, but about a project I am currently working on. My husband and I have determined that real estate investment is a good thing for his carpenter mind and my interior design mind.

As such, I would like to improve ugly homes to follow the charm, charcter and (hopefully) economy found in many Sears home designs.

There is a rash of badly (understatement) designed second story additions to bungalows in the Chicago area. I would like to avoid being one of them.

Might you have any Sears sources that highlight two-story homes such as might fit any additions to the bungalow style? I would love to incorporate details I have not yet thought of. Thank you! -Susan

23. Ann
    March 21st, 2019 at 19:51 | #23

I wish you would reconsider letting your books all go out of print.

You don’t have to deal with the fulfillment yourself these days, you could use a print-on-demand service such as Createspace and let Amazon handle everything.

Or contact the University of Georgia press person who expressed an interest in reprinting your books. http://www.searshomes.org/index.php/buy-the-book/#comment-243621

24. Joyce Phipps
    April 9th, 2019 at 08:53 | #24

I am the owner of a Sears Roebuck home in Centenary, S.C. I am in process of doing a little remodeling.

25. April 9th, 2019 at 16:32 | #25

Dear Rosemary,

I would so love a blueprint for the Rodessa.

I have written a novel about three women who build one from a kit in 1943 Ohio.

But I need a few construction details to lend authenticity. I hope you can help me.

Sincerely,