Readers’ Comments

1. christina adkins
    June 15th, 2012 at 12:58 | #1

My great great grandfather built a Sear Kit home in Texas between 1908-1916. I have looked and have not found the model. My dad has restored the home and I would love to give him more information. I don’t see away to post a pic on here so if you have an email address that would be great.

The home has 3 stories. The 3rd story may have been an attic. Im not sure. It has 8 round post on the porch. I know for sure it is a kit home because we have the markings on the wood and some of the original documents.

We do not have anything with a date but we have a pic of my grandfather as a baby on the front porch in 1916 and he was the youngest child. I think he used to tell us it was built in 1908. Any help would be great.

Thanks

2. ajkelsey
    June 20th, 2012 at 11:03 | #2

Hello,

I was wondering if you maintain a list of the Sears homes you and other’s have found. If so, why isn’t online? I live a a Sears home myself as does my neighbor. My model is the Mitchell, I don’t know my neighbor’s off hand. I believe have spotted several potential others in NJ. I don’t want to inundate you with information if you are already aware of them.

3. Rachel Shoemaker
    June 27th, 2012 at 15:47 | #3

@christina adkins
    Didn’t you send a picture? I thought this was the one that is a Sears Saratoga.

4. Rachel Shoemaker
    June 27th, 2012 at 15:50 | #4

If there are any followers out there from or near Manson Iowa reply back. I have a location for a Gordon Van Tine #108 that was a testimonial (written by GB Moon) in the 1913 catalog. Photos would be nice and appreciated :)

5. d hughes
    July 2nd, 2012 at 18:21 | #5

Does anyone have information about Cliff Cottage Inn in Eureka Springs? It is supposed to be a Sears House - designed by Eastlake. Interested in knowing anything available - particularly what model? When built?

6. Rachel Shoemaker
    July 2nd, 2012 at 21:31 | #6

@d hughes

I have been to Eureka Springs, I saw that. Unfortunately that house pre-dates Sears kit homes. I don’t know where they came up with this story. Sears did not start offering kit houses until 1908.

Correct me if I am wrong on this Rosemary. The Cliff Cottage house was built in the 1880’s if memory serves me right. It is possible that the house was designed by him and the materials were ordered from a Sears catalog but it was not a kit. Sears didn’t offer kit homes in the 1880s.

Most of the homes in Eureka Springs predate kit homes. There is a house on Spring Street that is I thought just down a few houses from the Bridgeford House B&B that is supposed to be a Montgomery Ward house but I don’t recall which one.

They had a brochure that spring when I was there back in 2001 and it was the first time I had ever heard of a kit house. I think it may have been that big Victorian. I never though back then that I would one day research them! The big Victorian house at 253 Spring Street is a George F. Barber design, No. 37 from “Cottage Souvenir #2″.

One day I will go to Eureka Springs again and look. It’s not but a couple of hours from me.

7. July 3rd, 2012 at 14:42 | #7

I found what I think is a Sears Magnolia in Angola, NY. It’s now a funeral home. Lattimore Schiavo, North Main Street, Angola, NY.

8. Rachel Shoemaker
    July 4th, 2012 at 17:14 | #8

@david petrilo

That is a Sterling Vernon. I have been trying to get someone to get pictures of it for over a year. I have a newspaper article and photograph of it from February 7, 1982. I have emailed a guy on flickr who has photos and I even notified the people who own the place. Nobody ever replies. Do a search on this blog for Sterling Vernon and you can see the catalog. I own the actual catalog and bought it for that very reason. If you join the Facebook Sears page you can see the newspaper clipping and 1982 photo there.

Can you get photos for us?

9. David Beeke
    July 6th, 2012 at 16:34 | #9

My sister lives in a Crafton. When she originally walked through the home there was a plate saying the home was a Sears kit, when she closed and moved in, the plate was gone!

Neat to find some history about her home!

10. Jody K
    July 10th, 2012 at 22:41 | #10

I own a Sears kit home and am looking for a single panel interior door that matches what I have in my home. Does anyone know of a place I can buy salvaged parts from Sears homes?

11. Jody K
    July 10th, 2012 at 22:46 | #11

I live in Batavia IL, near Elgin, and there are several Sears homes in my neighborhood, including mine. The east side of town, on Elizabeth street, Spring and Prairie are some of the streests. @Becky Jo

12. July 11th, 2012 at 06:42 | #12

Jody, you should contact Rebecca Hunter. For a time, she was managing a registry of salvaged parts from Sears Homes.

13. Harmon Larimore
    July 12th, 2012 at 04:41 | #13

I have an Honor Bilt Home Cooler. Could it have been an option on Honor Bilt homes? It’s basically a large window mounted fan. The cage style was used by one type of Sears Homart Home Cooler. However, all the Homart Home Coolers have newer switches than mine and some have timers. Thank you.

14. MaryKay
    July 23rd, 2012 at 11:09 | #14

@Sears Homes

I have house plans for the Lexington Model that was supposed to be built in 1933. It includes the contract for the building the house as well as the addition of a 3rd floor, etc. The site was in Downers Grove, Illinois. The stock market crashed and the house was never purchased. From looking at the plans, it’s very beautiful and functional too.

15. Don Claypoole
    July 29th, 2012 at 16:33 | #15

My Grandfather and Grandmother built a Sears house outside Ford City Pa. They were John W. and Florenda “Specht” Guthrie-living on Guthrie Road Manor Township at 104 Willow Road Ford City, PA.

Grandfather worked over 40 years for PPG Glass, plus drilled gas wells on the side and my Grandmother taught school for nearly that long.

She had put her three sisters to college at Indiana Normal School,” IUP of PA. now,” after her mother died in the flu epidemic of 1918-19. After that she worked, paid her own way through school there.

The house they built was the Westly. The interior of the home is almost all original. It was sided in the 60s, but it is sure the true image of the picture that I saw here at the website, July 29th, 2012.

Strange but true my Grandfather`s middle name was Westly. Thank you for solving my mystery !!! I do remember my Grandfather saying the house was a Sears house. We still own this house even after my grandparent’s deaths in the late 1980s.

D.E.C.

16. Jennifer
    July 30th, 2012 at 20:13 | #16

Hi - I am looking for a list of Sears homes still standing in New York City. Does anyone know if one exists?

17. Patricia Green
    August 8th, 2012 at 12:14 | #17

I own a 1929 Sears home, The Americus no.P13063 It is on Catawba Island, Ohio. Do you know of any other owners of an Americus?

18. Ellen
    August 17th, 2012 at 08:13 | #18

Hi,

I own a home in Flossmoor that a neighbor told me was a Sears home. It looks exactly like the Milford model. The problem is it shows it was built in 1943. I read that if it was built after 1940, it is not a Sears home. I am certain it is. Is there anything I can look for to confirm this?

Thank you.

Ellen

19. Rosie Marie Butters
    September 9th, 2012 at 22:31 | #19

Rose, I know you are busy but could you confirm that I have found a Sears “Chelsea” in Big Rapids, Michigan. Here’s a link to the photographs:

Thank you!

20. Donna Bakke
    September 12th, 2012 at 19:14 | #20

@Rosie - it’s not a Chelsea - the roof is too steep and the eaves returns on the dormers are way bigger than the Chelsea. There is no bump out on the side where the staircase should be. The window placement doesn’t match. Nice lookin’ house though.

21. tom m
    September 16th, 2012 at 20:30 | #21

The kitchen cabinet in your picture is not original to 1925. That is a Homart metal kitchen cabinet which was popular from 1950 to 1954. Although it is a pre-War design and some were sold in the mid 1940s.

22. Mary R. Powley
    September 17th, 2012 at 20:46 | #22

Hi,

I have friends who own a Sears Dutch Colonial Revival home (264B164) and a Sears cottage.

Both homes have been impeccably maintained. The original woodwork has been restored. The house has a new second floor bathroom with the washer/dryer adjacent. The remainder of the home is by and large original.

The Dutch Colonial sits on a very large yard on the south shore of Lake Ontario in Rochester. The property includes a beach and the lake if visible from all windows on three sides of the home. The cottage was built for the gardener and housekeeper and is adjacent to the main home property.

My friends have been trying to sell this property for several years. My husband and I are convinced that the real estate agents they have worked with do not know how to market such beautifully historic homes. They would love to sell both properties together to keep them together.

Can you provide any ideas as to how and/or where they could market their home (houses) to potential buyers who are interested in purchasing a classic modern sears home?

The houses are in a suburb of Rochester, NY. This home is within minutes from a yacht club, less than 10 minutes from golf courses who were designed by Robert Jones, less than 45 minutes from several of the unique finger lakes of New York. The home is in a great location.

If sold together the sale price would be approximately $600K.

Any suggestions you can offer would be greatly appreciated. We just want to see this home/properties go to a buyer or buyers who truly appreciate these homes.

Mary

23. Linda
    September 21st, 2012 at 23:39 | #23

Rose, I was watching an episode of Dead Files and I found it really interesting. Made me think of Addie. It was on the Gibson house in Montana. Paris and Valeria Gibson. Apparently there was a coverup in her death. Also, I was curious about something I thought I read from a clipping you posted on a post. Didn’t Addie and Enoch go West hunting or some such thing? I’m probably wrong but I seem to think that Addie and Valeria met. If you could suggest where I could find this article….I would appreciate it!! Thanks.

24. Linda
    September 21st, 2012 at 23:57 | #24

Okay, I found that article and it is most likely a different Gibson…..but, what a fascinating story. ;)

25. September 26th, 2012 at 22:15 | #25

I’ve been searching for Sears homes and other kit homes in south eastern Pennsylvania.

I started a Flickr page of my finds.

Please take a look and let me know if it any seem a bit off. My Arlington and Woodlawn seem to have an extra set of porch posts. Here’s the site: http://www.flickr.com/photos/87389546@N04/

26. Andrea M.
    September 27th, 2012 at 20:47 | #26

We just purchased a 1912 Sears Sherburne in Villa Park, IL. It is a beauty.

Were there many of the Sherburne model sold? I only saw a few pictures of the model. Ours has an enclosed front porch and an addition added to the back. Do you know if there are any others in Illinois?

27. Melissa
    September 27th, 2012 at 21:03 | #27

So excited to find your site - we’re buying a new house and it’s an Aladdin Shadow Lawn…would be happy to send pictures if you’d like - would love to have you validate my assumption!

28. Tanya
    October 9th, 2012 at 16:02 | #28

Rose,

I’m almost positive I own a “Crescent” model Sears home, and I’m also pretty sure my neighborhood (in Peoria, IL) is filled with Sears homes… I’ve looked at so many of the plans, and see so many homes around me that are similar.

I don’t have many pics of my house, but here’s one from when it was last for sale:

Any thoughts? Thanks, Tanya

29. James Binder
    October 23rd, 2012 at 17:16 | #29

I’m a new recruit the whole Sears Home idea. I nearly purchased one the other day for my first home but it wasn’t feasible. It’s at 25 2nd Street in Downers Grove. I think its a 1926 built Uriel model but the realtor was saying a Coventry but the plans for the Coventry doesn’t match.

The reason I’m writing is that my hometown of River Grove may have a cluster of Sears Homes.

Has anyone documented them? If not I can gladly get exterior photos. I don’t know the owners so i most likely wont be able to get inside.

Great website!!!

James

30. Joshua
    October 23rd, 2012 at 19:33 | #30

Rose,

Thank you so much for all you do with the Sears homes - I love them!

Can you please tell me if you have ever found a real life version of sears kit home model # 158?

The following is a link to the home on sears archives website: http://www.searsarchives.com/homes/images/1908-1914/1911_0158.jpg

I really love this house (its my favorite foursquare) and one day I hope to build a foursquare home with a very similar floorplan and look to this one.

Please let me know if you have ever found a real life #158 and if you have any photos.

Thanks so much and keep up the great work!

Josh in Tulsa, OK

31. Chriss Halleck, LVT
    October 24th, 2012 at 18:50 | #31

Hello Rose, I am the lucky owner / caretaker of a Sears Argyle Bungalow.

It has most of its original wood trims and built-ins, undisturbed by paint.

As it is currently up for sale, the pictures can be found at http://www.grar.com and by looking at 913 Leonard Street. I have found grease pencil markings in the basement indicating floor plan # 2018, the signature of the builder, and two other areas marked “Illinois Lumber Company.”

What fun! Let me know what you think of the home. You are invited to visit at any time. Come on over, Chriss

32. Anita Levin
    October 29th, 2012 at 10:04 | #32

I recently purchased a mail order home in Morgantown WV.

Not sure if it is Sears but looks like it. How can I look up catalog models?

I am now interested in the history of this home and the area. How should i start my research?

33. Nelly
    November 11th, 2012 at 22:57 | #33

We bought this house eleven years ago. It was built in 1929, a bungalow.

My neighbors have a mirror image of our house. Both are brick with a front porch. There’s another house like ours on the next street but this one is wood. I think this was a kit house but can’t place it.

Saw some sears kit houses that look similar to mine. I live in Highland Park, Il. How can I make sure?

34. Jeanine Scholz
    November 20th, 2012 at 07:16 | #34

My grandfather built a home in Wood River Il about 1916, it was on 203 9th street. I do not have a picture of the house and would love to have one, I suspect it was a Sears house. Is there anyway to find out if it was a Sears Home?

Jeanine

35. November 21st, 2012 at 22:01 | #35

Hi Rose, we have corresponded in the past about my little mystery house, and you helped direct me towards other lines of research, since it isn’t a Sears.

I have tracked down the one matching catalog house, it’s apparently a 1912 catalog Aladdin Sherman (the model that later got renamed to Sheridan in 1916 after three or four plan changes). I was wondering if anyone out there had seen an Aladdin Sherman/Sheridan in the wild?

36. Bill Marshall
    November 22nd, 2012 at 15:23 | #36

My Grandfather built a Sears Home in 1921 in Charlotte, NC and it is where my father and his brothers were raised. It is located at 1728 Queens Road in Myers Park and could be your 8th Magnolia.

I have attached a link to a photo and we were told growing up that it was The Magnolia.

Thanks,
    Bill Marshall

Charlotte, NC

37. November 25th, 2012 at 10:55 | #37

My parents own what appears to be a simplified Gladstone. There is only one pair of windows on the front porch, single windows on the second floor, and the porch pillars are plain, not double.

Inside, the living room runs across the front, not down the side, and the biggest difference is that each floor has a fireplace on the left wall, one above the other, so the windows are more separated in the outside view.

I know this is probably some sort of kit house because the house next to it is identical, but did Sears have upscale and downscale versions of its kit houses? If not, I guess ours is some other company or just a wannabe. Any guidance or suggestions would be so appreciated.

I am becoming dizzy looking at drawings of houses — lol. We’re in central West Virginia, by the way.

Thank you for your great website. One can tell that you really love these homes.

38. Rachel
    November 27th, 2012 at 15:56 | #38

@Bill Marshall

Curiosity got the best of me. I am an avid Sears kit home researcher…..actually any kit home or even plan book home interests me. I research thorough and I dig deep ;) Some call me indefatigable.

So…..I investigated your house Bill. I am sorry to tell you this but it is not a Sears Magnolia. I found interior photos here http://www.robertdulin.com/property/1728-Queens-Road-Charlotte-North-Carolina. My research shows it was built after the Magnolia was offered.

I can say with 110% confidence that this is not the 8th Magnolia.

39. susan piala
    November 29th, 2012 at 23:05 | #39

We recently purchased an Aladdin Brentwood model home in Elkhorn Wisconsin.

The home was built in 1918 and we are the third owners of the house. We have found out a lot of the history of the home since the grandson of the original owner just lives 1/4 mile down the road.

If you look at a picture of the Brentwood you will see it has a very distinguished look to it so this house must have looked out of place amongst the plain farmhouses in the area.

The house has a poured concrete foundation and inside the basement is a concrete room that was used as a cistern to hold water. It was also the first house in the area to get electricity.

The original owner Orley was an inventor and an engineer - his grandson wrote a book compiled from the many stories he heard over the years about Orley’s life and we were able to get a copy of it through Amazon.

The outside of the house looks just like the plan. We are now working on updating everything inside trying to keep an old fashioned feel to it. I’m sure Orley is happy that we’re taking good care of his home.

40. Julie Ondo
    December 7th, 2012 at 10:58 | #40

Hi! We recently purchased a Sears home in Barrington, Illinois.

We believe it was originally the Garfield (two unit) and then converted to a single family. We hear that the home was moved from a farm to its’ current location.

Any interest in the progress as we dig into it and work on restoring? Thanks!

Julie

41. Al Tirre
    January 7th, 2013 at 12:42 | #41

Did Sears buy their kits from Aladdin? We have an Aladdin Home. We have been told it came from Sears.

42. January 8th, 2013 at 18:00 | #42

I purchased a home thought to be built in 1908. I live in Ashland, NE and would love someones opinion on whether you think my home is a Sears House.

I have not been able to find an exact match, but it resembles the Modern Home No. 159 although mine has two stair cases.

It does have the square block on molding joints at staircase landings, where moldings meet at odd angles, however due to renovations I can not provide proof through stamps or markings. You can see a picture of the house on my blog at http://lagniappeatlast.blogspot.com/ .

Any direction would be greatly appreciated! Thank You Lisa

43. January 8th, 2013 at 18:03 | #43

Oh the turret was added by a previous owner, don’t let that confuse you! Thanks @Lisa Masters

44. Julia Paul
    January 14th, 2013 at 20:27 | #44

Hello Rose!

I have driven by a home in Suffolk, Va. for many years now and have admired this wonderful home.

I stumbled upon your site and matched it to the Windemere design!

I highly doubt the older family that owns it even realizes the importance of their home and its preservation. It looks to be very much original , including a carport.

It is located on a semi rural area called Crittenden Road , just off of Bridge Road ( rte. 17), shouldn’t be difficult to find by Google earth, it is white and Green in color.

I will try to find a photo for you soon.

Best of luck with your quest!

45. Millie H Griswold
    January 18th, 2013 at 12:28 | #45

My letter to you at P O Box 1392, Alton, Il was returned.

I had read your book The Houses that Sears Built and had a couple of questions. May I have your mailing address to resend the letter?

46. January 18th, 2013 at 15:00 | #46

Yeah, I let that PO box go just recently.

You can email me at Rosemary.ringer@gmail.com.

47. January 21st, 2013 at 13:57 | #47

We just finished reading the article in the newspaper about the Sears home that was found in Greeley Colorado. We wanted to let you know that there are at least four Sears kit homes here in Rifle, Colorado.

48. Jon Goodwin
    January 22nd, 2013 at 09:22 | #48

I have what I believe (but don’t know) is a Sears Americus kit home from the 1920s.

I didn’t see any Americus homes in your contact list. I think the house was built in 1925, but an 80-year-old neighbor who’s been here a very long time says 1924. It’s a foursquare, with front entrance to the living room on the left (facing house), full length front porch, stairway to second floor is on back wall of the living room, with a 15 light door from the first landing to the second floor hallway.

It’s 6 rooms and a bath. It has decorative block as its foundation, the roof is pyramid style, there is decorative woodwork under the eaves. The 1923 Americus is close to mine, the floor plan is identical, but I have no dormers, and there is no kick-out for the master bedroom. Do you know where to find an answer?

49. Sara
    January 26th, 2013 at 11:27 | #49

I’d be interested if you know of more potential Sears homes in the Shea Terrace/Park View area of Portsmouth?

For instance, I suspect the house my grandmother used to live in on Idlewood Ave. might be a Sears Sheridan. The floor plan is almost an exact match. She doesn’t live there anymore, so no luck checking the framing members ;)

I grew up in Shea Terrace and my mom and sister and I all still live in the neighborhood (none of our family homes are kit homes). I’m now obsessed with spotting kit homes!

50. January 26th, 2013 at 12:21 | #50

Hi Sara,

I’ve been all through Shea Terrace. When my family came to Portsmouth in the mid-1950s, we lived on 6th Avenue for a time.

I just love the neighborhood and I drive through their frequently, hoping to find something I missed before. Unfortunately, there are no Sheridans in Shea Terrace.

However, I’m sure there are some kit homes in that area and West Park View that I’ve overlooked!

Rose